Dates can definitely be expensive! Anything from $80 dinners to $40 spent at the movies to $20 in gas driving around town. For those of us on a limited budget, it’s hard to be active on the dating scene, or to keep the romance alive in a marriage while trying to be frugal. Is a date night under $20 possible? I say yes, challenge accepted!
Date Night Under $20
- It’s always affordable and fun to cook something for your date. The key is to keep it simple and manageable. I promise your date will appreciate a good, homemade dinner over a typical $20 plate at a restaurant. Just remember to keep it smooth – save the dishes/cleaning up for later.
- A great after-dinner option is a slow walk around a local park at night if the weather is nice (bonus points for brisk weather when you both need to stay bundled together!).
- Check out the local free options — things like a local museum or exhibit can be either free or very low cost. Be creative – don’t let the fact that it’s free take away from doing your homework to find the coolest places.
- If your date likes live music, find a bar/venue for free local music. It’s going to take some Google work, but find some reviews on the band so you two can actually enjoy the music. For the more reserved date, go to a local cafe for a poetry or open-mic night. Usually some good laughs and moments result, and the price of a drink or two doesn’t add up to much.
- If you’re feeling like a little out-of-the-box fun, try a game that just two people can play. My favorite is candy poker. Find out your date’s favorite candy beforehand and substitute it for money, then play a few hands of poker. You’ll both have fun and it’s a great way to spend some less formal time with your date.
- One of the best dates I ever had with my husband was practically free. We met up at a local mall with a list of items we typed up together the night before…silly items like a “yellow polka dot bikini” or “mickey mouse” as well as food items, drink items etc. We had a cheap dinner in the food court and spent the evening going on a scavenger hunt. Each item could only be checked off the list once we posed for a photo with it. We loved it so much that we did it another time with our kids for a family night activity.
- A picnic at a local park, river or outside venue is an inexpensive but memorable date. One of my favorite dates involved a picnic dinner on the cheap next to a canal and a bike ride together. We spent hardly anything, but had an amazing time!
- If money is tight and hiring a babysitter isn’t an option, you can always plan a romantic date for after the kids are in bed. Make a fancy dessert together, have a candlelight poetry reading, watch a movie and eat popcorn or even break out your wedding video. There are many options!
Having a successful date night under $20 is all about doing your homework and being creative. Do some internet searching and don’t be afraid to take risks – your date loves you and your creativity more than what you can spend to entertain them!
The CESI Team is committed to helping you reach your financial goals. If debt keeps you from living the life you dream of, contact us for a free debt analysis today and get started on the road to a brighter future!